Saturday, September 26, 2009

I realized this morning that I am wasting a lot of time.  It is so easy to get caught up in social networking sites.  I am not doing the things I should.  I must work on a change of attitude.

I worked a bit on my short story submission this week and sent out a couple of query letters.  I realize that getting a book published is a long term investment but it will soon be four years since I had the idea and started putting words on paper.  Royce Buckingham said "Send things out and start writing something else."  I am trying to do that.  The discouraging part is that even though you have sent it out, the book still needs to be tended. 

Getting your novel isn't like writing a business letter or paying a bill.  Once those have slipped through the mail slot they are gone.  You can put them out of your mind.  With finding an agent, you have to be mindful of when you sent your query.  If there is a rejection, you must send out another query.  The novel is always in the back of your mind.  It is difficult to move on to the next project with the last one still lingering there.

I know I will write this weekend between the laundry and vacuuming.  Life must go on.  I learned in medical school that I could do almost anything I set my mind to, but I would like to have my novel bound and sitting on the shelf, rather than on a flashdrive at the safety deposit.

Today however, I will put this aside.  I will work on positive thinking.  I will read some more of The Lost Symbol and start watching True Blood season one because everyone is raving.  And I will let the stories percolate to the top of my mind so I can begin afresh in the morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment